Sunday, September 22, 2013

Top Trip Tips for Flying with Kids and Infants.

Bloggers are supposed to write about what they know- and I know air travel! I didn't take my first flight until I was 17, but since then it's a been a non-stop roller coaster of airports and terminals- and the novelty of flying wore off fast! My oldest son Jack took his first international flight when he was only a few months old. So here are my top trip tips  for airline travel with kids:

1)What to do with kids under 2?
Kids under 2 fly free domestically and at a fraction of the cost internationally as long as they are seated on your lap for the journey. Obviously life is much easier if you can pay for a seat, especially if you are travelling by yourself with an infant. Most international airlines also have a bassinet for very small babies that attaches to the wall, it's usually available free of charge but must be booked beforehand and lots of parents don't know about them. It was a lifesaver for me when I travelled by myself with an infant- I don't know how I would have eaten a meal balancing baby on my lap?!?!

2)CARES harness
I just discovered the CARES harness this summer- and I love it. Airline seat belts never kept my little escape artists in one place and many reports say they won't protect children in case of severe turbulence- enter the CARES harness. I loved it because it was easy to use, small to carry and made life not just safer but much more comfortable for my youngest (she was just over 2). They are pricey but re-sell well and can often be rented.



3)Wheelie luggage
Though my daughter is the proud owner of a hot pink Trunki (which is awesome!) my boys both have cheap backpacks on wheels that we use for travelling. A simple thing but I guarantee if you don't get wheel-able hand luggage you will be carrying that Pokemon backpack through the airport when your little travelling companion gets tired!




5)Luggage allowance and strollers
Check, check and double check you checked baggage allowance. There are huge differences between airlines and the policies often change. Some airlines will give you less luggage with an infant on your lap where as some will allow you to check car seats, playpens and other baby paraphernalia. Even if you can take your stroller straight to the gate I would NOT recommend taking your expensive one as they often get damaged. We purchased a stroller bag for my sit and stand stroller so we could pack it up at the gate and put it in the hold. We bought the summer infant stroller after one airline flight with our eldest and we loved it and it survived almost 15 flights before it broke. It was great because it was folded small enough into it's little bag that you could take it on the plane as hand luggage, so it never left my sight- not all airlines/airports will give you your stroller back at the arrivals gate (Birmingham, UK is bad for that!!!) It doesn't actually look like you can buy the summer infant stroller anymore which is a shame. Let me know if you know of a stroller that's great for travelling!



6)Pack light, pack smart.
Pack less toys, pack more electronics. It's not what you want to hear, but it's true. Toys fall down between the seats and the kids have no space on the airplane. An iPad can provide a couple of movies before the battery dies and leap pads can provide endless hours of video games- again- not what you want to be encouraging your child to do but unless you are flying every week I personally don't think it's a big issue. We started purchasing downloadable games from the leap pad app store instead of physical cartridges which made it even easier :)

Above all flying with kids takes lots of deep breaths, plenty of planning and at least one bar of dairy milk for sanity! What are some of your best tips for travelling with little ones? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment