Monday, September 23, 2013

Memory Lane Monday- My First "Taste" of Canada

This is an historic moment- our first ever Memory Lane Monday!  In an attempt to organize my thoughts, every Monday will feature a walk down memory lane and my excuse to adventures from my pre-blog days.

My First "Taste" of Canada
When I first came to Canada back in the summer of 1997 there was a lot to look forward too and the best part of any new culture is the food. Believe it or not my first trip to Canada landed me in Eston, SK and my first taste of Canadian cuisine was courtesy of a bible college cafeteria. To this day a dry, hot, mosquito filled prairie summer day will take me right back to Eston and to my first encounter with Canadian food.  Some of the food was fairly easy to figure out, for example I had no idea what a "taco" was but upon arrival at the food counter it seemed fairly self explanatory (pronouncing it as my friends know is a different story). However there were a few flavours that though obvious to a Canadian, were completely baffling to me as a foreigner.

Ranch Flavour
I had never heard of "Ranch" flavour before coming to Canada. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now (though I have learned to appreciate it). What is Ranch flavour and why does it go on salad? When I think of a ranch I think of cows and beef- beef flavoured salad dressing?!?!? (actually that's not a bad idea). Though I asked several of the locals no one could explain what it tasted like or explain it's name.


All Dressed Flavour
I love chips- love, love, love. This unique Canadian flavour is baffling but very delicious, delicious enough to make the top 5 best flavours of potato chip (you won't believe what number one is). When asking my lunch line neighbour what all dressed chips tasted like, I got a very inadequate response of "it tastes like everything, like it's all dressed". Our move to Estevan made it even more confusing when the local pizzeria advertised "all dressed pizza", I should hope by pizza doesn't come naked!

To be fair...
When I share British foods with my canadian counter parts I know I get strange looks for the prawn cocktail flavour "crisps" we have. You may think it's weird- but at least I can give you a flavour reference :) What are some foreign foods that are baffling to you?

2 comments:

  1. I have a couple of great ones! Foreign flavours, let me see. I went to this asian curry / noodle house in Richmond BC and we ordered hot & sour soup as well as wonton soup. Now I have eaten my fair share of asian food and chinese food in particular so I was in for a bit of a surprise. It was obvious by the bustling clientele that not only was this establishment busy, but that it catered to a particular demographic.
    Nobody but me seemed to notice that the hot & sour had a particularly metallic taste to it, nor that the wonton soup tasted like a marina. At this point, it was very obvious to me that in most asian restaurants, certain flavours are definitely 'toned down' for American patrons.
    Aside from this, there are the obvious examples of Vegemite and Marmite. Stuff looks and tastes like TAR as far as I am concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, good old Vegemite and Marmite. I wouldn't have a clue how to describe those flavours either except to say I a not a fan!

    ReplyDelete